Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The 'Adventure' Has Already Begun

Hello, Dear Readers!

*Big Exhale*...We finally made it home last night from our multi-destination trip to see the family.  Although it was great to see everyone and good times were had, the traveling was not so good.  In all my years of flying, I have never had this many problems.  I guess this is the new norm...

We left San Antonio to go to Pawtucket, RI.  We had a layover at BWI...and I mean a layover.  We initially boarded the plane and ended up sitting on the tarmac for 2 hours.  Finally, the pilot took us back to the gate...after another two hours of delays we were finally cancelled.  Then we stood in line for 2 1/2 hours to reschedule and then to find out that even though they couldn't get our bodies on a plane, they sure could get our luggage on one and fly it to our final destination.  Sooooo, we got to the hotel and got a couple of hours of sleep (not really) and finally got to Jeff's parent's house.  As a side note:  D, sure wish we had the time to get a quick reunion in, but maybe next time!

Our time in Pawtucket was wonderful.  For the first time, I got to actually see some sites.  We went to Slater Mill first which I loved!  After taking a textiles course in school, this really fascinated me to see the first successful cotton mill in the US.  The machinery was incredible.
Carding Machine
We were planning to go see the TAPS HQ in Warwick (I'm a huge GH fan!) But, to my disappointment, they take down their window sign unless they are taping and they were not in town...next time, I'll plan better and make sure that they'll be in the area. :(

Where Abby
was found
What was really interesting is that day we planned to do TAPS, the Lizzie Borden house and Slater Mill, but because of TAPS not being there, we delayed our outing to Fall River.  So we made plans to see the Borden home on the 4th...which actually was the anniversary of the murders!  How fortuitous!  The home has been turned into a B&B and it has always been a goal of mine to stay there.  Although we didn't stay the night, we did get a treat that day.  During the day they actually reenact the events of August 4, 1892.  As the observers, we were deputized and we 'witnessed' the questioning of all involved that day. It was really cool.
Jeff & I at the front door










After the Borden home we went to Plimoth (Plymouth) to see the Plimoth Plantation.  This town is a replica of how the Pilgrams lived.  They had actors that you could go up to to ask questions and they were completely in character...using old english, staying in the correct time, knitting, building structures as they were built.  The homes were amazing and there was no electricity.  We also got to see a replica homestead of a Wampanoag family.  They had native people, dressed as they would have been, there to explain how they built their structures.  It was so amazing!

Mayflower II
Plimoth Rock
And of course, no trip to Plimoth would be complete without seeing the Mayflower (II) and Plimoth Rock.  This was an exact replica and it did sail the actual route in the 1950's.  My first reaction was that I was surprised at how small it is/was.  It also had actors on it who you could ask questions of.  It was really neat.  Then we walked over to see 'the rock'...hmmmm, it was really small.  Once again, I had a different vision in my head.  Who knew?






We left Pawtucket to make our way to St. Paul, Virginia, where my Grandmother lives...along with most of my kin.  I love going there.  It is almost suspended in time.  Things change very slowly there.  It is a depressed area for the most part, but it holds more treasure for me than any big city.


We boarded our plane to Charlotte first and, wait for it...we sat on the tarmac for about an hour.  We finally got off the ground and landed.  We got to the gate for our second leg of the trip and it was delayed.  Now we're on standby.  After a few hours the gate attendant got on the intercom to make an announcement...ahem: drum roll, please..."Ladies & Gentlemen, your flight has been cancelled.".  So, back in line - yada, yada, yada, and we're off to a hotel.  Now, I was getting tired of washin' my drawers in the sink and drying them with a blowdryer, but you do watcha gotta do!  Another side note:  Keesha...sure wished you were in town...would've loved to see you and the kids!

You know what was great? Even though it never materialized because of schedule/time, it was really nice to know that no matter where we were stuck there was blue-family somewhere...

Untouched Beauty...
on the mountain
On the mountain, we took it pretty easy.  Went to see some of the old homesteads...visited the church that my family started and the cemetery.  You see, for those that don't know already I come from a pretty infamous family.  You know the phrase, "The Real McCoy"?  Well, that's me...a real McCoy of the Hatfields and McCoys.  And, yes, they did fight over the hog among other things...there were many feuds like that, but ours was the first to go to the Supreme Court!

We made our way home yesterday with trepidation...were we actually going to make it?  We did.  Now, we have only seven days left before we hit the road!  Hopefully, the difficulties on this trip home are not a harbinger of things to come on our journey north, to Alaska!

Stay tuned!

Be Blessed-






No comments:

Post a Comment

I know that some of my thoughts may create passionate feelings. I do appreciate passion and I welcome it; however, please do not be rude. These are only my thoughts...